Pages

Wednesday 21 June 2017

Teaching Before and After

How I teach Before and After



There are a lot of ways to teach before and after. My caseload is young and generally severe so I always start with using before and after as temporal concepts and then move on to using it in routines.

1.The first thing I do when I teach before and after is get a hand full of manipulatives- like these bears.

I give the student one bear facing them. I then explain that before means in front and after means behind. I give them directions like put the blue bear before the red bear, put the orange bear after the yellow. If they make mistakes I will target just 1 concept at a time and explain (again) that before or after also means in front or behind.


2. The next thing I do is line up about five bears and I get the kids to tell me where each one is. I ask, "where is the red one?" They can say after the blue one or before the green one.  If they have difficulty with this expressively I ask "which one is after/before the (color)? and see if they are understanding.

 3. After they have this I move onto my routines. For that I use my Before and After Sequencing Package. :)

 Teaching Concepts and Sequencing- First, Next, Last, Before and After

Use this package to teach first, next, last, before and after in a step by step approach. I've used simple routines like in the morning and after school, to help reinforce the concepts. It has mats for center ideas and worksheets for individual use and mastery.  I've also included task cards!













0 comments:

Post a Comment